College Decision Day
2017 Host Sites can use this form to register their events with MCAN.
|About Decision Day||Available Resources||2017 Host Sites||Register Here|
What is Michigan’s College Decision Day?
The goal of College Decision Day is to recognize high school seniors for their postsecondary educational plans and encourage younger students and families to prepare early for postsecondary education. College Decision Day is held annually on or around May 1 and is designed to coincide with the date that most seniors must inform a college of their plans to enroll.
College Decision Day is inspired by the NCAA's National Signing Day to reinforce that excellence in the classroom should be given as much pomp and circumstance as excellence as an athlete. NCAA's National Signing Day is when high school seniors sign a letter of intent to play sports at a specific college. Traditionally players participate in press conferences to announce their intentions. Our goal is to mimic this excitement for ALL students going to college. College Decision Day is Michigan's adoption of National College Signing Day, a program of Former First Lady Michelle Obama's Reach Higher initiative. The goals of National College Signing Day are:
- To encourage community leaders, schools, celebrities, and nonprofit and advocacy groups to host a “Reach Higher College Signing Day” to support students planning to attend and graduate from college
- To celebrate ALL students and their commitment to complete their education beyond high school
Why Host College Decision Day?
- To recognize all students for their postsecondary plans
- To encourage and remind students it’s time to make a decision
- To support the best match and fit for each student
- To influence younger students as they prepare for college
- To support a college-going culture and wrap up the school year with a celebration
While each school must decide for itself the benefit of hosting Decision Day and will organize an event that meets the needs of the school, at a minimum it is our goal to see host sites create an event that fulfills the following:
- Recognizes ALL students for their postsecondary plans
- Recognition to happen in front of the entire student body
- Contact local media – encourage publicity beyond the high school building
- Have fun!
Want to see how students celebrated Decision Day 2015? Check out this highlight reel using Storify to feature Tweets, photos and conversations across social networks.
- National College Signing Day overview webinar
- MI Decision Day Overview - 9 mins
- MI Decision Day: What it looks like - 19 mins
- MI Decision Day: MCAN Resources - 14 mins
- MI Decision Day: Finding Supports - 16 mins
Site Coordinator Resource Manual
- Word version (download this and edit to make templates specific to your school)
- PDF version
- Collegiance and #MIdecisionday Contests
Decision Day videos
- About Decision Day - full length
- About Decision Day PSA - 30 sec
- College Advisor PSA - 30 sec
- Student PSA - 30 sec
Logos and images
National College Signing Day Resources
- The Reach Higher team has joined Better Make Room at Civic Nation. Be sure to register your event with the national campaign here and make use of the toolkit, event guide, and a chance to receive a $500 grant for your event.
- 2017 Toolkit
- In 2015, Michigan was honored to host First Lady Michelle Obama at the Detriot College Access Network's citywide College Signing Day! This video is a great recap of the wonderful event, and this video highlights some of the seniors that were featured throughout the day.
Registration for Decision Day 2017 is now available. Please complete this survey to register your host site. Please register by March 17th, 2017 to be guaranteed promotional materials.
Check out our map of 2017 host sites: